ExifTool > ExifTool GUI

How to set file last modified time in WinOS to the creation time in EXIF header?

(1/1)

pstein:
Assume I modified a digital photo slightly.

Now I want to change the files last modified time (in Windows) back to the original time which can be retrieved from the EXIF header of the *.jpg.

How can I do this exactly?

I remember times when there was a menu in ExifTool GUI

Modify--->FileModifyDate as in ExifDateTimeOriginal

but it do not find it any more in newest ExifToolGUI software.

How does it work now?

Peter

Phil Harvey:

--- Quote from: pstein on May 08, 2019, 10:33:22 AM ---Now I want to change the files last modified time (in Windows) back to the original time which can be retrieved from the EXIF header of the *.jpg.
--- End quote ---

From the command line, you do this:

exiftool "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal" FILESorDIRS

I can't help with the GUI though.  My only idea would be to try "-filemodifydate<datetimeoriginal" in the ExifTool direct box (if memory serves).

- Phil

pstein:
Thank you.

Actually I prefer a GUI to not have to remember always the exact cmdline syntax.
But it is welcomed as a second solution.

But two more question:

1.) When I apply your command to a folder which contains some *.jpg files with NO EXIF header
then exiftools starts, processes e.g. 34 photo files and aborts.

How can I tell exiftool to skip (silently) *.jpg files with NO EXIF header and automatically continue with the following?

2.) How does your command work recursively for a whole dir tree?

Peter

StarGeek:

--- Quote from: pstein on May 09, 2019, 01:13:22 AM ---1.) When I apply your command to a folder which contains some *.jpg files with NO EXIF header
then exiftools starts, processes e.g. 34 photo files and aborts.
--- End quote ---

Exiftool will still have to read those files to make the determination if there is data to be processed.  If there isn't a DateTimeOriginal tag in the file, nothing will actually happen with that file.

--- Quote ---How can I tell exiftool to skip (silently) *.jpg files with NO EXIF header and automatically continue with the following?
--- End quote ---

You could use
exiftool -if "$DateTimeOriginal" "-filemodifydate<DateTimeOriginal" FILESorDIRS
This will skip any file that doesn't have the DateTimeOriginal tag.  But in the case of this command, files without that value will be skipped anyway, so it's a bit redundant. 

Though, I just realized that there might be other time tags in the file that are used to create the Composite:DateTimeOriginal (IPTC date and time tags), as well as the possibility of the XMP:DateTimeOriginal tag (though unlikely to exist if there isn't a DateTimeOriginal in the EXIF block).  To avoid writing in those cases, you can specify the group.
exiftool -if "$EXIF:DateTimeOriginal" "-filemodifydate<EXIF:DateTimeOriginal" FILESorDIRS

--- Quote ---2.) How does your command work recursively for a whole dir tree?
--- End quote ---

Add the -r option to your command.  But take note that using a wildcard, such as *.jpg, will not work when you recurse.  If you need to limit to certain files, such as jpgs, then you need to use the -ext (extension) option, e.g. -ext jpg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version