Author Topic: ExifToolGUI currently unsupported  (Read 70402 times)

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
ExifToolGUI currently unsupported
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:56:39 AM »
Sorry for the bad news, but it seems as if Bogdan is no longer supporting his ExifToolGUI program, and hasn't responded to any questions in this section of the forum for quite a while.

I will leave this section of the forum up, but I'm afraid that you're on your own here because I can't answer questions about ExifToolGUI myself.

I will of course continue to support the exiftool command-line application and Perl API in the other sections of this forum.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

afeininger

Re: ExifToolGUI currently unsupported
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »

Oh, after some weeks I guessed it could be something severe and constant... but I can understand that it must be a very hard work supporting a software as a single developer - and the public surely is not always very grateful  >:(

So I say Thank You for giving us a very useful and versatile piece of software and for the very friendly and open-minded support!

hening

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Hi Phil

your site lists a couple of other GUIs for ExifTool - is there any of these you would recommend? Since ExifToolGUI is no longer supported by its author.
What I need to do is to edit the focal length and aperture.
Thank you for your advice - as well as for your application!

Kind regards - Hening.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
You can use ExifToolGUI to do this already.  Just add the tags to the workspace (FocalLength and FNumber).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hening

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:04:12 AM »
Thank you for your fast reply! - Hening.

lumen

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:44:21 AM »
What a great program, I mean both, EXIFtool and the GUI, especially together  :)
Works at least for now (Windows 7 64bit), hope it will run in near future too eventhough support might not exist..
I haven't come across with any other GUI for exiftool

Growltiger

Hi Bogdan, I write this here because I can find no other way to contact you and I hope that you will one day read this message here.

Thanks and congratulations on ExifToolGUI. It (combined with the wonderful ExifTool) is the best way of seeing EXIF data that I have found.

I have a suggestion which would make it much better. And I think it might be easy for you to do.

There is no easy way to use your program to get the EXIF for images from the web, in other words images seen in a web browser.

I am NOT suggesting you write plugins for Firefox, IE etc. I think that would be a lot of frustrating work.

All the browsers let you right click on an image and then either Copy or Copy Image. For example one can then run Photoshop and do File/New then Paste.

So what your program is missing is the ability to paste an image into it.

(I know one can drop an image file onto its shortcut, but that doesn't help.)

I hope you like this suggestion.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
There is no easy way to use your program to get the EXIF for images from the web, in other words images seen in a web browser.

I know there's at least one extension for FireFox that lets you view some Exif data, though it didn't always work well.  Checking just now I see there are several.  The one I have is ExifViewer 2.00, which I can't fully recommend. 

All the browsers let you right click on an image and then either Copy or Copy Image. For example one can then run Photoshop and do File/New then Paste.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that would work.  I believe, at least under windows, when you copy an image to the clipboard, it's only copying the image data, basically creating a Bmap copy of the image.  I don't believe it will copy over things like metadata.

Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* Double all percent signs (%) in a Windows batch file.
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.

Growltiger

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:50:51 AM »
StarGeek - you are correct. I just tried it and all the EXIF data is lost when copying.

In that case what we need is a Firefox browser extension that will, somehow, run ExifTool (preferably GUI).

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:30 AM »
What about using Jeffrey's online EXIF viewer?:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

- Phil

Growltiger

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »
How comprehensive are the results compared with exiftool?

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »
He's using ExifTool 9.27 right now, so he's pretty up-to-date.

- Phil

Growltiger

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 06:17:54 AM »
Ah - I didn't know that it used ExifTool, that is very helpful.

Perhaps it already exists, but it would be a good idea to have a list of all the systems that use ExifTool, together with the version number they use.

The problem has been that a number of EXIF programs that used to be good seem to have been abandoned by their creators and have become less and less useful, for example PhotoME and Opanda.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 07:38:22 AM »
Perhaps it already exists, but it would be a good idea to have a list of all the systems that use ExifTool, together with the version number they use.

Here is a partial list, but I am not going to keep track of the versions that they use.

- Phil

Growltiger

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
That is helpful, thanks. I had never noticed that list.

luteja

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:06 AM »
Does anybody know what happened to Bogdan? Is he ok?

Since ExifToolGUI has not been updated for more than 2 years is it still safe and compatible to use it with the latest ExifTool version?

Are there any alternatives to ExifToolGUI that we can possibly use?

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 06:58:10 AM »
Bogdan is OK.  He just decided that there was a real life outside the computer screen that he was missing.

To my knowledge, I haven't introduced any incompatibilities due to ExifTool updates.  I try really hard to maintain backward compatibility since ExifTool is used by many applications.

Any alternatives the I know about are listed on the ExifTool home page.  I'm not aware of anything better.

- Phil

dgsjsj

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 05:04:47 AM »
Hi Phil.
Version Windows Executable: exiftool-10.32.zip (4.9 MB)
It is not compatible with ExiftoolGUI version 5.16
Windows system 8.1 64 crashes
The information given for information only. I understand that you are not responsible for the work envelope.
Sorry for bad english. Best regards, Sergei.

Hayo Baan

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »
Thanks for the report! What error message do you get? Does exiftool work when used outside the GUI?
Does the GUI still work with an older version of exiftool?
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
This is more likely a problem with ExifTool, not ExifToolGUI.  Please try uninstalling according to these instructions and re-downloading and re-installing ExifTool and let me know if that helps.  Also, please try running ExifTool directly as Hayo suggests.

- Phil

Edit: I just discovered that I built the EXE version of ExifTool 10.32 for 64-bit Windows instead of 32-bit.  I'll see about reverting to 32-bit compatibility for the next release.  This may have something to do with the problem.

Edit2: Try ExifTool 10.33 -- this one is built for 32-bit Windows again.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:36:42 AM by Phil Harvey »

dgsjsj

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 04:36:05 AM »
1. What error message do you get?
2. Does exiftool work when used outside the GUI?
3.Does the GUI still work with an older version of exiftool?
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. I did not make a screenshot of the error message and can not remember the text.
2. When you drag a window, nothing happened. Because I do not work the command line.
3. Graphical interface works after installing exiftool-10.31 for Windows Executable:

dgsjsj

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 04:56:37 AM »
Графическую оболочку и exiftool-10.33 (без к)   запускаю из папки C:\My Tools\
Программа не работает. При попытке закрыть программу выдаётся сообщение
invalid pointer operation
Выход возможен только через диспетчер задач.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Graphical shell and exiftool-10.33 (not K) run from the folder C: \ My Tools \
The program is not working. When you try to close the program issued a message-
invalid pointer operation
Output is possible only through the Task Manager.

dgsjsj

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »
As a result, I returned to exiftool-10.31 for Windows Executable.
I regret that I can not get any help.

Hayo Baan

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • Hayo Baan – Photography
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 02:57:11 PM »
Have you already tried with the latest 10.33? As Phil said that is made for 32 bit windows. 10.32 was accidentally build for 64 bit windows only. And it looks like that was your problem.
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 07:57:10 AM »
From his last post it sounds like there were still problems with 10.33, but I don't think this is an exiftool.exe problem because I have reports that 10.33 works with Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (32-bit and 64-bit).

(FYI: The problem with 10.32 was due to the fact that I lost my Windows 10 development system because of disk problems, and when I rebuilt it I installed the wrong Perl version.  This was fixed for 10.33, and I now keep multiple backups of my Windows development system so this shouldn't happen again.)

- Phil
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 09:19:31 AM by Phil Harvey »

dgsjsj

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 11:07:29 PM »
Hello.
I have a 64-bit Windows 8.1
I repeatedly tried two extreme versions 32 and 33.
I delete temporary files as recommended.
This did not lead to positive results.
I continue to use ExifTool Version Number         : 10.31
I will successively install the new version and tell if they work.

dgsjsj

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 03:15:16 AM »
Hi Phil.
Version Windows Executable: exiftool-10.35.zip (5.8 MB)
It is  compatible with ExiftoolGUI version 5.16
Windows system 8.1 64-bit
 Best regards, Sergei.
Phil, thank you for the new version. I wish you successful work on the development of the program.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 07:38:28 AM »
This makes sense if you were using the -lang option.

I'm glad it works for you now.

- Phil

dgsjsj

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »
Yes it is. Works version  -lang (35)
Option (34) does not work.
If -lang options will have an odd numbering, it will be clear which version to use. :)

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 08:13:11 AM »
If -lang options will have an odd numbering, it will be clear which version to use. :)

I don't understand.  Hopefully all future versions will be OK.  The problem was due to a change in the build environment on my Windows system -- I had to rebuild it because of a disk crash.

- Phil

dgsjsj

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
In any case, it is clear that 10.31 and 10.35 working version.
I think you should not worry. There is something to be guided, if you want to maintain compatibility.
Всего доброго и удачи. С уважением Сергей.

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 08:29:51 AM »
Yes.  Only versions 10.32-10.34 had this problem.

- Phil

dgsjsj

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »
exiftool-10.36

Farrukh

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »
Hi
I just worked with ExifToolUI 4.27 and it worked with ExifTool 10.3.8. Edited some JPGs in batch and it logged only some Canon Camera Tag related warnings.
But I was not able to edit any tag in ExifToolUI 5.16 with ExifTool 10.3.8.

Farrukh

Phil Harvey

• ExifTool Author
  • Administrator
  • ExifTool Freak
    • ExifTool Home Page
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2016, 07:29:33 AM »
There have been some people with problems running ExifToolGUI on Windows 10 which have been solved by setting the compatibility property of the ExifToolGUI application.  See this post for details.

- Phil

wasabi65

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 01:39:06 PM »
Actually also ran into the Win10/ExifToolGUI issue. Settings the compatibility or any other measure mentioned here did not help. Finally what did it was a setting that I had never noticed previously. As the files were downloaded as ZIPs, when unpacking them with the Win10 explorer a new property shows up (ExifTool, as well as for all files of ExifToolGUI). You need to check that bottom right option (sorry, I have a German Win10). It says that the file comes from another computer and access is blocked. Cehcking the option allows access. The only other settings required for me were to run with admin rights and whitelisting in my antivirus.

Kenneth Evans

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 12:43:33 PM »
For the record I found Exif Pilot, which is free.  It seems to be a reasonable program.  At the time I had not done much with metadata beyond what Photoshop and Lightroom provide, but I needed (maybe wanted is better  ;) ) to do something about copyright for art from a number of drawing programs (on computers, tablets, and phones) that typically do not add metadata.  In trying to decide how to do that, I got more into Exiftool and ExifToolGui, that I had apparently installed some time before.

It was harder than I thought, and by the time I had it in hand, I was much more experienced with Exiftool and ExifToolGui.  I removed Exif Pilot from my computers, just to keep things simple.  ExifToolGui seems to be good enough for my purposes, mainly viewing metadata.  And there is Exiftool, which does about anything (but not as a GUI) as a backup.

The bottom line is if you are looking for an alternative, this would be one to look at, at least on Windows.

frazierwilliam

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
Yeah, thanks, Phil.

I, too, was initially bummed as I had trouble getting ExifToolGUI to function properly.

Phil's list of tools that leverage ExifTool is great. I actually had stumbled upon GeoSetter right after having trouble with ExifToolGUI (it's on Phil's list), and I'm actually finding it to be a fantastic GUI. To me, it seems to be much easier to use than ExifToolGUI, but I'm in no position to state that as fact.

Anyway, if you're jazzed about the possibilities of using ExifTool (which I was), but thinking that without ExifToolGUI it'll be a large learning project, GeoSetter is likely to meet your needs. Geosetter is free. Download is on the Germany tld: http://www.geosetter.de/en/main-en/